What to Pray For
(Adapted from Intercessors for New Zealand June 2001)
1. Leaders - Pray for governmental, civic and spiritual leaders (1 Tim 2: 1 - 2). Pray for the laws of our land, and any changes which may be made to them.
2. Cities and towns - Pray for peace in the land, for our cities and towns; and pray against violence and crime (Jer 29: 7).
3. The Church - Pray for pastors, elders, deacons and other church leaders. Pray for unity within, and between churches. Pray for the proclamation of the truth. Pray for national repentance and confession (Dan. 9: 3 - 19). Pray for revival in the church and in the nation.
4. Evangelism and Mission - Pray for the unsaved, for evangelism and evangelistic organizations, that many people will be drawn by the Holy Spirit to the Saviour.
5. Industry - Pray for industrial relations, employers and employees and Trade Unions. Pray for industrial harmony. Pray against laziness and greed. Pray for the unemployed and the poor.
6. The Media - Pray for radio and television broadcasting, films, videos, books, magazines and newspapers. Pray that the truth will be presented. Pray against pornography and everything which would encourage immorality, violence, the demonic, etc. Pray for the Christian use of the media to be effective.
7. Victory over the Powers of Darkness - Pray against all forms of immorality and sexual perversion, drugs, alcoholism, the occult, idolatry and worship of false gods. Pray that the veil over the minds of unbelievers will be lifted; that people will see, hear, understand and receive Jesus as their Lord, Saviour and Deliverer. Believe Matthew 18: 18 as you pray.
8. Youth - Pray for our young people, that they will find the Lord at an early age, will be filled with the Spirit and walk with the Lord. Pray that they will be kept from the wiles and temptations of the enemy; that they will know the truth that sets them free and not become enslaved to lies and deceptions. Pray for schools, colleges, universities, Sunday Schools, Bible classes and Bible colleges.
9. Justice - Pray for justice in the land - both legal, justice and social justice. Pray against racial and other wrong discrimination.
10. Families - Pray for our homes and families. Pray that marriage will always be held in high honour. Pray against those things which encourage family breakdown and divorce. Pray for solo parents who struggle to bring up their children on their own, and for children who live with only one parent.
11. Missions - Pray that we will always be a strong missionary-sending nation. Pray for all Christians who are serving the Lord overseas, sharing the Gospel with those who are lost. Pray for those who are persecuted for their faith.
12. Christian literature - Pray for the writing and distribution of Christian literature, and especially the Word of God itself. Pray for the upholding of the truths of God’s Word and of Christian principles and standards as laid down in the Bible.
“Pray without ceasing…” (1 Thess 5: 17)